Not Your Nana's Caramel Slice
OMG this may be the BEST caramel slice you've ever had. Big statement I know. I also can't take the credit for this incredible creation... HUGE hugs to @the.lyons.life for not only creating this incredible recipe, but inspiring our daily workouts and healthy eating with an open, honest approach.
We love the name, we all have a Nana, Auntie or loved one who's recipe is our 'go-to' (here's to you Auntie Jean) however this clean recipe really takes the cake (pun intended)!
We hope you will love this recipe as much as we do - Don't forget to tag us in your baking creations, we LOVE to see if yours look as good as ours hehe!!
B A S E
C A R A M E L
150g Ripe Banana (can be semi thawed, you don’t want to add too much liquid to this, so it’s best not to use completely frozen)
70g Medjool Dates - Pitted
1/4 cup of Maple Syrup
30g Almond Butter
C H O C O L A T E
80g Chocolate (Vegan or for Sugar Free, I use Well Naturally)
20g Coconut Oil or Runny Nut Butter
M E T H O D
Base: In a bowl combine protein and flours. With a fork fold in coconut oil and maple syrup until combined. If the mix is a little dry add a dash of almond milk to help it come together. Using a flat object press the mix firmly into a lined loaf tin and set aside.
Caramel: Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender or vitamizer and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides a few times. Once fully combined spread an even layer over the base. Place the slice in the freezer for an hour to set. Resist the urge to remove from the freezer! You want this layer to set properly otherwise it’ll be a hot mess when you come to pour the chocolate.
Chocolate: Melt chocolate in the microwave (approx. 30sec-1min) being careful not to let it burn. Stir in coconut oil or nut butter until fully combined. Remove slice from the freezer and pour over the caramel. If you added coconut oil to your chocolate this should set pretty instantly. If you added nut butter return the slice to the freezer for 20 mins for the choc to set.
Cut slice! I got 15 squares. Keep remaining pieces in a sealed container in the freezer.
Macros for 15 squares: Cals 145, C 11g, F 9g, P 5g
O P T I O N A L // N O T E S
- 30g At Health Vanilla Protein of choice – Vanilla Bean & Almond is Vegan however, I used the Tummy Loving Protein because I didn’t need this slice to be Vegan.
- You could also try the Radiance Range Protein for extra Collagen benefits!
- You could also add 2 Scoops Salted Caramel Adrenal by Switch Nutrition (optional).
- If you wish, you can swap the oil in the base for almond milk.
- I used Queens Sugar Free Maple Syrup to keep the carbs down.
- If you wish to keep this banana free use a chilled pre steamed zucchini (make sure you squeeze the additional liquid out of it) and add a scoop of your fave protein.)
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.